Monday 7 May 2007

Nerves and plays and stuff!





Oh dear my first blog since the site began – I do hope it isn't going to hurt and that I haven't forgotten how!

Friday 4th May 7.30 pm. I stood gibbering hopelessly on stage, waiting for the moment when I would have to creep out onto the stage all on my own – front of curtain, in a spotlight – to tell everyone that I was Squadwon leader Cwafowd (Cwafie does't sound his Rs) and that I was 28 years old (guaranteed)to get a laugh) and that I would be dead in ten minutes – um the play Stalag 69 is a comedy . . . honest.

Once again as I jittererd about waiting for my cue – I was confronted, and not for the first time, with the thought 'why the berludy hell do I do this to myself?'

Music started and I was off and Cwafie took over. And once again I knew why I put myself through it all. Why I spend Thursday and Sunday evenings in a cold hall – where you can see your breathe in the air – rehearsing and rehearsing and rehearsing. Why I spend hours – learning lines that will inevitably vanish as soon as the lights go up – lines that then somehow magically come out in mostly the right order. Why I turn out time and time again on wet damp and windy evenings instead of snuggling up by the fire. Why? Because I LOVE it that is why. I love the electric thrill of being on stage, the buzz, the adrenaline, the nerves, yes even the nerves, the thrill of the audience responding, crying, laughing and the satisfaction and relief and after show party when it is all over.

Stalag 69 by Michael Green is a play set in a Nazi Prison Cell during the 2nd World war. When the curtain opens it quickly becomes apparent that the 'stage crew' have put the scenery up – upside down (see picture one) – which creates absolute chaos – with poor old Cwafie twying to keep it all going. He has porridge tipped over him, he has to tie himself up and even shoot himself, because no one can enter the cell . . . the door is six foot up on the upside down flat. The play finishes and the director announces that because the play is an important piece of work – we are going to do it all again . . . and we do.

This time the set is the right way up. All goes okish – until Cwafie in his enthusiasm gets his arms stuck through the prison cell bars and pulls the whole lot out of the wall . . . . There is then a chain of events which leads to the walls of the prison collapsing and revealing the back stage crew and all their sound effect paraphernalia See picture 2). Cwafie then has to do the rest of the play with the bars stuck on his arms, whilst the back stage crew rush about doing their sound effects.

The play is fantastic fun to do – very physical, messy (the porridge) and occasionally painfull . . . ie on Friday Cwafie just didn't get out of the way in time and one of the 12foot scenery flats fell on him . . . . Berludy hell – that was NOT supposed to happen. Knocked old Cwafie to his knees – but he got up and carried on . . . complete Bar Steward that he is I wanted to make a fuss . . . . But whilst the curtains are open and the lights are up Cwafie is in charge!

Stalag 69 – only lasts 25 mins. The rest of the evening was filled with a mini play – written by one of our members and co directed by Westerwitch. Four comedy sketches and then the main play of the night Happy Jack by John Godber. The latter is a lovely play spanning the life and rough love of Elizabeth and Jack (a coal miner and his wife). It is a play filled with laughter and tears, potential violence and incredible tenderness. Every time I see it – and I have seen it quite a few times now – I get something new from it. I did the sound for Happy Jack. Happy Snaper did the lighting for the whole show!

So two performances under our belts – four more to go in four different Scottish locations. Plus Happy Jack being performed at the East Kilbride One Act Play Festival this coming Friday. So busy busy busy and plenty more nerves to battle with in the coming weeks.

Good grief – what a huge Blog – but I feel so much better for it. And as for Cwafie – he is back in his box until Friday week. 28 years old indeed and the stubble . . . . and he smokes a pipe . . .

17 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

A huge well done to you - I wouldn't do that in a million years... could be persuaded for a million pounds. All this and a blog as well, no wonder Wildchild is so proud of you!

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Well a woman of many talents! I be you feel better for that blog! My youngest has been bitten by the am dram bug - he loves it - its me that gets the 1st night nerves!

Bluestocking Mum said...

I am so impressed!! You are a star Westerwitch. Well done for everything.

warm wishes
xx

toady said...

Coo you are brave standing up in front of people and acting. The scenery bit had me in stitches. Will we be seeing it on You've been Framed? Toady

CAMILLA said...

Does that mean I get free tickets to see the play? A nursing friend of mine who does amateur dramatics at a small theatre near the coast here, asked me one day if I would like the part of Marilyn Monroe. I said to her, "have you gone raving bonkers". I could'nt act my way out of a paper-bag let alone anything else, well have just thought that would probably go well with that actress. Well done Westerwitch, take a bow, flowers should come your way I think, when curtain up.
Warm Wishes.xx

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Ah the smellofthe greasepaint! I haev my fahters make up box, he wa a lovey, and I sniff his paints when I feel low!! Sounds sad but anyone who has worn Leichner no( will now!!

Play soudsn fantastic!!

muddyboots said...

a really big one, phew & a thesp as well!what else can you do?

Suffolkmum said...

Fantastic, welcomeback to blogging, and a huge well done for the performance. I can't think of anything worse, but am in awe of all you thesps.

Humpty said...

WW I'm glad you are able to feel the fear and do it anyway - I can barely remember my name somedays or shopping list or anything. Hope there was a good party for afters!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

sounds absolutely fantastic. like chris i really wouldn't be up for it but love to hear and sounds like a raging success.

Wizzard said...

Well done WW. It felt strange to be FOH on friday instead of on sound, but you did a great job both on and off the stage.
Break a leg on Friday

Pondside said...

Bravo! Bravo! You are a woman of many talents, indeed! Will any of this be on U Tube? Sounds like a lot of work and a lot of fun. All this AND the purple cow....you are amazing!

lixtroll said...

She looks great in a moustache and flying gear folks! You'd never know that Cwafie was in fact our own dear Westerwitch, it was brilliant, had a great night, porridge and all.

Anonymous said...

gosh you will be on the tv soon you are very talented and big well done i wish i was brave enough to do it xx jep

Fennie said...

Sounds great. Huge congratulations from a fellow thespie. But so much to go wrong! Well done.

Exmoorjane said...

You're absolutely berludy mad woman! Wild horses would not get me up on stage.....but I have a dear friend who can't get enough of the whiff of the stage-paint and so I can understand just a teeny bit. But the FEAR!!!! Aaaghh, I am plunged straight back to school (as if you aren't trying hard enough as it is with all the headmistress stuff) and forgetting my one line......oh the shame! I was scarred for life. Can't do public speaking to this day.
Well done though - for the performance, for your lovely long blog (so glad you're feeling better dear) and for hauling us all together. A huge round of applause from the grateful audience. janexxxxxxx

Pipany said...

Oh well done! Couldn't do that for all the tea (probably could give it a go for alcoholic inducements!) xx