Thursday 4 October 2007

HS is a WINNER . . . . .

Last night went with HS to Loxleys the printers - in Glasgow. They were hosting a roadshow of the PPQB (Professional Photographers Qualification Board) on behalf of the BIPP (British Institute of Professional Photographers of which HS is a member and has also recently become the Chairman of the Scottish Division) and also on behalf the MPA (Master of Professional Photographers) . . . Gawd are you all still with me . . . .

ANYWAY . . . the purpose of the get together was a presentation and workshop plus one to one advice from the judges, based on each photographer's collection of images on how to choose the right images to go from Licentiateship to the next level which is Associate ship within the BIPP and MPA. HS has the first level . . .he failed his Associateship Board in April of this year . . .he had good images at this board, but did not show enough uniform style . . .

Berludy good evening - met loads of photographers, good presentation - got to see plenty of Associate work - I came away inspired and I'm not even a member . . .yet! And food there was food . . . not the exploding club sandwich kind either . . . there were sandwiches sans cocktails sticks, but I avoided those . . although I managed to get grease all over my fingers from various nibbles . . .and drank too much coffee and nearly stabbed nine people with an over expressive wooden skewer - from which I'd proudly managed to eat chicken Satay without decorating the walls. And I only spilled my coffee a little bit and the MD of Loxleys forgave me.

AND the presenter, at the end, smiled and warmly shook my hand and forgave me for heckling him . . wasn't that nice . . .

BUT . . . AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT . . .

There was a prize of a camera for the best picture that the judges saw whilst looking at the potential candidates photographs for the Associate Board next April. AND YES . . HS WON . . . .I cried . . .much to everyone's delight and my acute embarrassment! What was worse I couldn't stop . . . .

I AM SO PROUD OF HS . . . he deserved the prize. One judge said 'excellent image - all I can say is that I wish I had taken it' . . WOW. So HS now has his work cut out as he has to come up with 19 more pictures that also have the WOW factor to pass his Associate Board in April 2008. He already has several other pictures in the running (approved by the judges last night) and planned shoots for producing more in the same style.

Below is the picture that won. Please note I meet all the models and scare the living daylights out of each one of them before letting HS and said model go out to do the shoot . . .snigger . . .

18 comments:

Withy Brook said...

Thank goodness I can at least comment here if not on the rest of the site.

That picture really blew me away. It would be hard to imagine one that could possibly come anywhere near it let alone beat it. Brilliant HP and the best of luck next April.

Hannah Velten said...

I can't see the picture - ahhhhhh!!!

Hannah Velten said...

Oh! I can now - blimey, I'm impressed - well done HS, and WW if there are more pics to be done, you'd better get your pokey stick out to warn off them nudey models! Mootia x

Casdok said...

What a wonderful thought provoking picture. Wow!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Thank you - I will pass your comments onto HS - he is very modest.

The tree is a lot smaller than it appears in the picture. And the model has a cracking figure . . . she is also a dancer and has fabulous hair . . . big pokey stick . . .lots of scaring. Happily all the models HS works with are professional - otherwise he wouldn't work with them . . I'd see to that . . .LOL

Norma Murray said...

Congratulations, congratulations,A super picture, but shouldn't that young lady be wearing a vest. It can be quite chilly up there if I remember rightly.

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! - Many congratulations. The picture is amazing. Not surprised you scare the models!!

My husband is a very keen photographer although tends to photograph birds with feathers rather than without!

Crystal xx

Blossomcottage said...

Well Done that man, I coming up to see you in March for some tips!
Blossom

Pondside said...

Well done!! congratulations!

Wizzard said...

Fantastic - always loved that piccy from the moment I first saw it.

Wx

HappySnaper said...

Aww shucks - Ta all - not bad for self portrait of an old fart and lots of photoshoppin... .Seriously tho' could not have done it without great co operation from the model - she is coming back to Scotland in Dec so watch this space.... D

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Sharpens stick . . .

Frances said...

Here is some late but sincere praise from across the seas. It is a beautiful picture.

The award is so richly deserved.

Celebrate victory! Keep creating!

DJ Kirkby said...

Wow that picture took my breath away, it is seriously stunning! I am so impressed. Congratulations HS! I love, love, love that pic. Ww I am still laughing over this bit 'an over expressive wooden skewer', lololol!

Sally Townsend said...

Well done HS, WW you must be bursting with pride. Terrific image, most impressed.

Suffolkmum said...

Fabulous, fabulous picture. Well done, justly deserved. Keep that stick sharpened WW.

Milkmaid said...

I do hope that for the calendar we will be wearing a tad more clothing and are you going to scare us before the shoot too, Have a good hols xx

CAMILLA said...

Oh so pleased for Happysnaper, how absolutely wonderful, no wonder you were crying WW, it must have been quite emotional. Love that picture of Tree. I adore Trees, cannot imagine a life without them.

Well done HS.

Camilla.xxx